Re: is Lifecycle management pack being used by anyone?

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:49:58 -0600

Last I heard (i.e. circa 2008), the "Information Lifecycle Mgmt" or
"ILM" pack was an APEX plugin consisting of logic to implement
time-based partitioning of tables across time-variant tablespaces, thus
enabling the use of tiered storage.

This may (or may not) be the thing you have?

If it is, I only kicked the tires, and didn't really open it up and use
it in anger, because IIRC I could see from the tire-kicking it wasn't
doing exactly what I wanted, so it became shelfware.  I just looked and
I don't have emails from the time-period specifying exactly what it
wasn't doing, just generalizing what I said here; sorry.  If you held my
feet to the fire, I think I would say that the plugin generated a script
to initially implement partitioning on two tiers of storage, but did not
do anything about more than two tiers, and did nothing about the ongoing
rolling of tablespaces from tier-1 to tier-2, from tier-2 to tier-N, and
finally from tier-N to the bit-bucket.  It merely generated the initial
DDL, which I can say is the easy part, having implemented the
rolling/drop logic in PL/SQL myself.

Of course, if it isn't the same module, then please disregard... :-)