inefficient sql

  • From: "Stephens, Chris" <Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:14:54 -0500

I'm interested in creating a daily report to run in our development
environments to spot inefficient SQL early in the process.
I've already got one that lists top ten highest elapsed time and top ten most
frequently executed.  They have helped tremendously in focusing on the right
SQL.  However, there is often SQL here that makes its way into integration and
production that could be improved upon. (Yes I know where SQL falls in the
optimization hierarchy and am well aware that business tasks are what are
important but these reports have proved their value over and over.)

I'm pretty confident that a ratio of LIO's to rows returned by each row
operation in an SQL execution plan is a good indicator of SQL efficiency.  I
think I've heard this in a few different presentations.  I don't, however,
recall what that ratio should be or if I'm misremembering completely.

What do you all consider good indicators of inefficient SQL and how to you
identify those statements?

Thanks!
Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by email reply.