Re: index rebuild - locking

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dd.yakkali@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 08:13:40 -0600

If it's not too much trouble, you might take a look at ALTER INDEX ... COALESCE instead of REBUILD.  It is transactional and can be executed concurrently with DML with much less risk (and less licensing) than ALTER INDEX ... REBUILD ... ONLINE.

But don't get up off the couch, just relax.  Above all, please don't bother testing before you run it in production.  Can I get you something to drink while I'm up....?

On 7/8/2010 11:57 PM, Niall Litchfield wrote:

If you can use the online keyword then DML can happen concurrently, if not, then not. You don't give a reason for your desire to spend resources doing a rebuild, for a table with few writes my presumption would be that a rebuild wouldn't help with any problem you might have (you don't describe one) on the other hand since I prefer to do maintenance out of hours or during low activity then it might do your overtime hours some good. There's a rather important football match Sunday - that might make a good time.

Niall Litchfield

On Jul 9, 2010 3:51 AM, "dd yakkali" <dd.yakkali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

i have a big table ( 10 GB ) which has an index on a number field. Index is almost same size as the table and I want to rebuild the index
the database is very active and the table is also very active read about 100K times in 20 minutes and few writes as well. I want to know during the index rebuild process, does oracle allow writing to the table ( insert into that table) ?

Please let me know, i am kind of lazy to do test.

Thanks
Deen
-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l