Re: incremental rman backup using image copy

  • From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: agoel01@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:07:13 +0300

I read some documentation and did limited testing but sounds like we still
can't backup the datafiles as it is.  RMAN backups the datafile using it's
own naming convention(format command) e.g. datafile users_01.dbf can not be
backed up as users_01.dbf in backup destination. >>
If you are not using FRA (Flash Recovery Area), it is very well possible to
have the same name using the format with BACKUP AS .

BACKUP AS COPY DATAFILE 'user01.dbf' FORMAT 'user01.dbf';

Anil, just a though, why dont the client wants to have backupsets rather
than image copies? I know that Oracle first perfers to the image copies
compare to incremental or backupsets.

But, you know, image copy is just a block to block copy, no compression. It
would take good considerable time to finish the backup.

10g RMAN has very rich features, like BTC, binary compression and etc.

Jaffar

On 3/20/07, Anil Goel <agoel01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I am no expert on RMAN, so, I thought I post it here to get some possible
solution for a client of mine.

Currently, they are taking "image copy' of rman backups for 9i/10g
databases, they are not using rman catalog. As RMAN 9i did not allow image
copy, they wrote custom code to generate statement like below for "rman" to
execute for all datafiles within a database:

COPY DATAFILE '/opt/oradata/test10g/users_01.dbf' TO
'/rman/test10g/users_01.dbf';

That's how they accomplished rman 9i "image copy". They want to continue
the same path on rman 10g but want to get rid of custom code as 10g now
allows "image copy". I read some documentation and did limited testing but
sounds like we still can't backup the datafiles as it is.  RMAN backups the
datafile using it's own naming convention(format command) e.g. datafile
users_01.dbf can not be backed up as users_01.dbf in backup destination.

Is there a way to do that and also would incremental backup be
possible using the same approach.

I will appreciate any response.

Thanks,

Anil Goel.

Live! <http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2740??PS=47575> --

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."