Re: increasing COMPATIBLE parameter

  • From: Carlos Sierra <carlos.sierra.usa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:16:34 -0400

Mark,

COMPATIBLE is used when you do a database upgrade, lets say from 10.2.0.4 to
11.2.0.4, and you need (for a few days) to have the capability to go back to
10.2.0.4. Once you are comfortable on the new release, you simply reset this
parameter and let it default for current database release you are on.

OPTIMIZER_FEATURES_ENABLE controls many features of the CBO, thus you can set
it to a prior value when and if needed. I only see some value to do this during
a few days after an upgrade. For the most part, you also want to reset this
parameter (remove from SPFILE) and use default value so you get to benefit of
the new features for your release.

So if you are on 11g, and have been on it for a while, I do not see any reason
to keep COMPATIBLE set to a prior version. It is not like you will downgrade to
this prior version anymore. So I would simply reset it (remove from SPFILE) and
let it default. Yes, you cannot go back to the outdated value you had. But
again, do you still want to go back to your old release?

Please, corrections are always welcomed.

Carlos Sierra
Life is Good!