Re: increasing COMPATIBLE parameter

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JEREMY.SHEEHAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 11:47:57 -0400

I bet the database uses the optimizer though.  :-)

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands, of differences in the query
optimizer between 10gR2 and 11gR2, and I expect the vast majority of those
are suppressed when you run with COMPATIBLE=10.2.0.4

You really should do a regression test before making this change,
especially considering that it is a one-way thing.  You can increase the
value of COMPATIBLE, but you can *never* decrease it again.  Not unless you
are ready to do an export/import.

Most likely, you will be perfectly okay.  *LOTS* of people complete this
upgrade without a hitch.  But in the unlikely(?) case that you are not one
of them, you'll probably want to show you did "due diligence" first.