Re: iPhone app for Oracle DBA?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:14:59 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Niall,

> We bounce a web app for a client daily. Doesn't hurt anyone.

I beg to differ.  There's definite cost associated with that action or
inaction, in the case of not rebooting.  It just so happens that in this
particular case, the cost of daily bouncing is less than not doing it.

Scheduled reboots??!??  A sore spot for me, which grows annually since the
21st Century mark.  It's necessity is just wrong.  Wrong.  Wrong.  Just
wrong.

We're stuck in the scheduled boot loop for Win32 servers or face the wrath
of OS memory leakage troubles.  It's unfortunately (much) cheaper to reboot
weekly than it is to fix the #!@$%* problem.

Phew!  Why's this soapbox I'm on shaking?  ;)

Rich