Re: i know cary millsap is super smart but...

  • From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ahmusch@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 20:04:18 -0500

Josh and Adam,
I was just discussing that this week with a client. I've asked the same
question, and I just haven't done the tests yet.

My expectation would be that for a two-quad-core system, the number of
"effective CPUs" (let's call it) would be something less than 2 x 4 = 8 but
more than just 2. Probably 6-ish, I would expect. ...Meaning that on a 2x
quad-core system, you could apply the idea behind the paper as if the
actual number of CPUs were something like 6.

I'd love to learn what you find out if you test it.

Cary Millsap
Method R Corporation