huge pages, ASMM and SGA sizing

  • From: April Sims <aprilcsims@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:56:37 -0500

Thanks to everyone with the Huge pages advice....we now have it enabled.

I am now getting pressure from all sides to increase the SGA "because we
have plenty of memory now" with huge pages. Triple the current SGA
size....what are the ramifications of doing this?  In 10G there were lots
of easy ways to check buffer/pool sizes with hit ratios.

Does anyone have some advice? I need solid evidence to back up what I
say....just pointing to the ADDM report isn't what they want.  We don't own
Database Replay.

I currently have the SGA allocated manually....I have not turned on ASMM
yet (but it is on the table) and don't plan on using AMM due to known
issues with huge pages.

Currently on 11.2.0.3 with a planned upgrade to 12.1.0.2 within the year.

thanks,

--
April C. Sims
http://aprilcsims.wordpress.com