hp to linux...Redhat upgrade ?

  • From: max scalf <oracle.blog3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 10:09:10 -0500

Hello List,

I wanted to get some thought from the list with regards to our migration
plan. We have an oracle database(10.2.0.3) running on HP paric 11.11 and
we want to move to Linux 6.5 and oracle 11.2.0.4. We have moved couple of
our system from HP 11.31(oracle 11g) to Linux 6.5(oracle 11g) using cross
platform incremental transportable tablespace. My question is how does one
goes about using the same process for 10g to 11g migration and also hp to
linux. When i say Linux i am talking about RedHat.

We were thinking to do the following

- Install oracle version 10.2.0.3 on Linux(5.5), cant use 6.5 as oracle
10.2 is not supported with 6.5
- If we do above, then i can migrate to 10.2.0.3 followed by an upgrade
to 11g
- But the step above poses another huddle, oracle 11g is not supported
on Linux 5.5
- so would we upgrade the RHEL version to 6.5 --> but if we upgrade to
6.5 and oracle remains on 10g that is not supported

I know we can use Golden Gate for something like this but we are trying to
find a cheap options and not have additional cost(Golden gate), also if we
were to go down using Golden Gate i am guessing Golden Gate version 10 is
probably not supported for HP 11.11(source server).

What has the community done for such a migration project?