Re: how to prevent DBA burnout?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vickipierce51@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:26:28 -0700

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Vicki Pierce <vickipierce51@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  What's also frustrating is when staff DBAs are asked to do performance
> analyses and it is apparent that more system resources are required,
> management suggests running Gather Schema Statistics more frequently before
> they revisit the possibility that the DBA might be right.  I even had one
> client who called in very expensive consultants to review the performance
> analysis I did, (also ran their own performance analysis tool) only to agree
> in the end that more CPUs were definately needed.

This reminds me of an experience from long ago:

My analysis showed that both memory and CPU were needed for our
server to keep up with the app.

The mgr ordered and had installed CPU, but not the memory, obviously
not trusting the analysis I provided.

When he asked how the performance improved, it of course had not.
It may have even degraded, which would be expected, though I can no
longer recall if that happened.

When the memory was installed, yes, you know that performance then improved.

Jared Still