Re: how to ban plsql developer connect to oracle

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oracle-L Freelists'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:47:53 -0500 (CDT)

> It's not that easy.
> To do so, yo do not only need to set 'plsql_developer_ban=yes', but
> think about all levels of access security and erstrictions.
> Peter Finigan has written about it recently, this might be a good start:
>
> http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/archives/00001313.htm

Good article!  But the OPs reasoning is that one particular tool is exposing
a bug that causes ORA-600s and not just because the DBA is uncomfortable
having a tool make easily available some unintended consequences of over
granting privs.

I'm lucky to work with a small bunch of great Devs.  Unfortunately, they're
relegated to the depths of SQL Developer for now and when I upgraded a few
to test v2.1, I found that it stupidly does an invalid TNS-like ping of all
known DBs (e.g. in the client's tnsnames.ora), which throws an error in each
of the DB's respective listener log.  Joy!  While mildly disappointed, they
allowed me to pull the tool upgrade.

I also wrote and tested a logon trigger in a past life, along with an
automatic logoff proc when the default Oracle constructs failed to work
reliably.  Neither was close to being bullet-proof, which shows me that a
great DBA/Dev relationship is worth it's weight in gold.

Just my $.02,
Rich