RE: how goes 10.1.0.4 testing?

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Niall Litchfield' <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:43:57 -0500

Niall,

What Mladen said.

Also, and this is my opinion from experience only, Oracle tends to release
new features that are not yet fully realized in actual working code.  All
you need to do is to take a look at how quickly patch set #1 comes out after
release #1 comes out.  Sometimes, the patches that are available are for
things that were fixed in the prior release of the software (like 9.2.0.4
something works, and it's broken in 10.1, so a patch comes out to catch 10.1
up to 9.2.0.4).  Please don't ask me for specific examples of this.

And the new features that are release may have passed beta testing.  But
once they start getting hit by the rest of the world, the stuff really hits
the fan.

Of course, waiting for release 2 puts us in the position of installing
(probably) the final release of the software just before version 11.x comes
out.  But I'd rather be a release behind running stable software than
spending my client's time patching buggy software.

Tom