RE: how do you decide your db_cache_size

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <MGogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:21:29 -0400

Well, the initial sizing is the matter of opinion. I usually start with 256M
and then increase until waits on free buffers go away or until the end users
are satisfied with the performance, whichever happens first. It's the end
luser that is driving the tuning process, not the DBA. I also subscribe to
the binary religion: I somehow believe (from the days of mVaxII) that binary
numbers are easier for the CPU to operate on and that using binary numbers
will help me secure the afterlife and not re-incarnate as a MS-Windows
workstation.

--
Mladen Gogala
Ext. 121