RE: how do I concatenate a string in PL/SQL?

  • From: Shamita Singh <shamita_s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roger_xu@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:08:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi Roger,

  What did you declare the variables: a_strng and a_atwrt?

  Here's a description of the error you're having:

          ORA-06502:  PL/SQL: numeric or value error string    Cause:  An
arithmetic, numeric, string, conversion, or constraint error occurred. For
example, this error occurs if an attempt is made to assign the value NULL to a
variable declared NOT NULL, or if an attempt is made to assign an integer
larger than 99 to a variable declared NUMBER(2).    Action:  Change the data,
how it is manipulated, or how it is declared so that values do not violate
constraints.

  Regards,
  Shamita

Roger Xu <roger_xu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Nothing wrong with the cursor, the only problem is: "a_strng := a_ATWRT
|| a_strng;"

  ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
ORA-06512: at line 97

  everything else works fine if I comment out "a_strng := a_ATWRT || a_strng;"

  Again, the question is "How do I concatenate a string?" I guess := is for
numeric value only?

  Thanks,

  Roger