hosts vs DNS for RAC

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:50:42 -0300

Hi,
  I've been working with a customer for the past several months and they
pretty much refuse to use DNS resolution for the hostnames of the database
servers. I was not bothered by this since I usually use IPs in my
configurations and app configuration was not my concern.

  However now I have to install a RAC (11.2) and they insist in using
/etc/hosts aliases instead of DNS. I've done this in my VMs and it works,
but in the install doc it is clearly stated that you need to have a DNS.

  I've installed only 11.2.0.1 with /etc/hosts, but I see some 11.2.0.3
clusters working without a DNS (even an exadata!).

  So, has anyone faced any issues while confguring an 11.2.0.3.5 RAC
without a DNS?

   oh, we have only one SCAN IP (don't get me started...)

Cheers
Alan.-