Re: higher version Standby database?

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chen Zhou <oracle.unknowns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:38:55 -0600

If you look around, you will be able to find an eBook version.

The process I describe is provided http://www.trivadis.com/uploads/tx_cabagdownloadarea/Rolling_upgrade_Log_Stdby.pdf

It is effectively a zero-downtime process because your production still works on the original machine until you switch over. The upgrade is done to the standby after making it a logical standby. When the logical standby upgrade is complete, it is returned to standby mode at the new version but it stays in logical standby. Then you switch over from the original primary to the logical standby and that means you are running production on the upgraded database.

/Hans

On 26/06/2014 1:18 PM, Chen Zhou wrote:
Hans,
Unfortunately none of my local book stores carry this book. Do you mean basically in this case, we should convert the current primary database(10.2.0.4 RAC) to logical standby, then upgrade it to 10.2.0.5, then sync up and switch back to the originally intended physical standby already at 10.2.0.5? I am not 100% sure, but it might have taken my coworker a long time to upgrade a Dev database from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.5. He will not have enough time to do an upgrade of the much large and complicated production datatabase during regular maintenance window.
Thank you,
Chen

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The Data Guard book from Oracle Press
    (http://www.amazon.ca/Oracle-Data-Guard-11g-Handbook/dp/0071621113) has
    a section that covers a scenario that might suit

    In a nutshell: create physical standby; convert to logical
    standby; upgrade standby; sync; switch

    /Hans

    On 26/06/2014 11:07 AM, Chen Zhou wrote:

        Hi, Everyone,
        A colleague of mine asked me if I knew what to do in this
        situation.  We have a 10.2.0.4  RAC system that needs to be
        migrated to better servers.  Because of other issues with the
        primary database, one hurried decision led to anther, yet
        another, the end result is he ends up having a 10.2.0.5
        standby RAC database now.  The goal is to activate the standby
        and retire the primary database/servers.  However with the
        primary at 10.2.0.4 and standby at 10.2.0.5.12 with some
        additional patches, both of us don't know what is a safe and
        sure way to migrate in this situation.
        Redo the standby would be the last choice due to
        time-constraint and the stressed-out primary database.
        Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.
        Chen