RE: help

  • From: "Kennedy, Jim" <jim_kennedy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:09:35 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Dennis Williams
Sent: Thu 9/22/2005 8:31 PM
To: Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: help

Paula,

> Then at the last minute the users (through looking at their reporting
> system) request a massive update.

The last minute massive update doesn't worry me. I just think that is
the way the universe works. It probably just means the users have
finally understood the application and users just don't understand
data dictionaries anyway. The users work through the interfaces. What
worries me is the last minute massive update that turns out to bollix
up everything. That keeps me awake at night.

Dennis Williams

The data is yours, insist that the vendor publishes the schema.  Look for
vendors that do.  I worked on a medical application (electronic medical
records) and we published a very complete schema with a lot of detail.  It
didn't hurt our competitive position.  It actually made us more competitive.
Users liked it.  They still wanted us to create reports for them, but they
could see the data and not have the app hold the data hostage.
Jim
Jim