hash join and nested loop join in an oltp query

  • From: <ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 14:43:13 -0400

I Have seen some multi-table joins which return a small subset of records using
hash joins. To test results, I hinted them to do nested loop joins and found
response time to be alot slower and consistent gets to be much higher.

what types of cases make hash joins superior to nested loops? I see them alot
in batch processing when I need to  join most of the rows, but I am see them
now when I return a small subset of rows.

has anyone experienced this?