RE: hanging shutdowns

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:07:13 -0500

If a shutdown immediate hangs then what I do is usually just open
another sqlplus /nolog session, connect / as sysdba, and issue "shutdown
abort".  Works like a charm.

To prevent shutdown immediate from hanging and since we run the
databases on backend servers and the applications from an application
server we follow a simple procedure:

stop production batch
run a script to kill all remotely connect users
connect to Oracle and shutdown immediate

We have not had a shutdown hang in ages.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --