Re: gzip vs. compress

  • From: "Luis Fernando Cerri" <lfcerri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:18:56 -0300

Adding my 0.02, you'd can do some tests on your box and, as others
have said, make your mind based on what is cheaper for you: disk space
or CPU.

Original random.out is about 7MB:

$ time gzip random.out

real  0m7.231s
user  0m6.650s
sys   0m0.540s

$ ls -l random.out.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 owner users       39641 Jan 22 11:39 random.out.gz

$ time compress random.out

real  0m26.246s
user  0m22.470s
sys   0m1.220s

$ ls -l random.out.Z
-rw-r--r--    1 owner users      386673 Jan 22 11:39 random.out.Z

HTH,
Cerri