RE:guys - financing licensing on disaster recovery site

  • From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:37:50 -0700 (PDT)

Paula:
This is what Oracle told us.
This is why we maintain a "manual" standby.  (We rcp
redo logs across to another box, then apply them on
cloned database.)  We got Oracle's blessing to use the
manual standby with out current licensing scheme, as
long as we do not exceed the "10 days per year" rule.
A "real" standby would cost us double our current
licensing costs.

hth.

Back Up - In this type of recovery, database files of
the primary database are stored on tape media.  In
this type of environment, Oracle permits customers to
store a back up copy of the database data on storage
devices, such as tapes, without purchasing additional
licenses.

Failover - In this type of recovery, nodes are
configured in "cluster;" the first installed node acts
as a primary node.  If the primary node fails, one of
the nodes in the cluster acts as the primary node.  In
this type of environment, Oracle permits licensed
Oracle Database customers to run the DAtabase on an
unlicensed spare computer for up to a total of ten
separate days in any given calendar year.  Any other
use requires the environment to be fully licensed.
Additionally, the same metric must be used when
licensing the databases in a failover environment.

Standby - In this type of recovery, a copy of the
primary database is maintained on a separate server at
all times.  These systems are configured for disaster
recovery purposes.  If the primary database fails, the
standby database is activated to act as the new
primary database.  In this environment, both the
primary and the standby databases must be fully
licensed.  Additionally, the same metric must be used
when the licensing the databases in a standby
environment.