"google search" using Oracle Text

  • From: "Ivan Chow" <ichow2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:03:24 -0400

Hi,
I'm trying to implement google type of searches using Oracle Text but I
could not figure out an easy way of doing it.  I could not find an relevant
information in the documentation.

When a user enter a search string, I would like Oracle Text to return all
matching rows first followed by rows that matches one or more of the search
tokens.

The only way I can think of is seraching the exact string using the contains
clause and then seach each individual token.

for example, if the search string is "Oracle Text", I would execute the
following queries to retrieve the relevant records:
select * from texttable where contains (text, 'Oracle Text')>1;
select * from texttable where contains (text, 'Oracle')>1;
select * from texttable where contains (text, 'Text')>1;

This is tedious and worst yet, I have to filter out duplicate records return
by the queries. Also, if the number of tokens in the search string is long,
the number of queries I have to run increases. The filtering will also get
extremely complicated.

I'm sure Oracle Text can provide the same results using a much easier
approach. How can I do that in Oracle Text?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ivan