RE: getting users passwords in plain text

  • From: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vincent.verpoort@xxxxxxxxx" <vincent.verpoort@xxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:06:42 -0500

The only way I know of is in 9i and lower, and then only if there is a database
link.  The SYS.LINK$ table contains clear text passwords for database links to
a remote database.  Otherwise you could get a copy of the official scrabble
password dictionary OSPD and write a pl/sql package to hack the passwords.  If
the passwords are strong ones, then this will be really difficult.  If the
users are entering their own passwords and you are not enforcing strong
passwords, then you might try just the usernames as passwords and see what you
get.  Try the following in sqlplus:

set pages 0
set head off
set feed off
spool password_check.sql
select 'connect '||username||'/'||username
  from dba_users;
spool off
set feed on
spool password_check.log
@password_check.sql
spool off

Then look for any "Connected" messages.

This was a problem for us until we implemented strong password restrictions in
our databases.  The above won't work if you are also.

You might try mixing up the password a bit also, like adding numbers to the
end, or changing some of the letters to numbers.

Pat