RE: getting users passwords in plain text

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:56:41 -0400

I see no reason why the user passwords are needed.

A DBA can on 10.2 create objects under that belong to the user and
perform grants on the users objects without having to logon as the user.
(Yes private database links and a couple of objects require using the
user id still but most DBA activity no longer requires switching to
being the user)

What was the reason given for needing the user passwords?

There is a way for a privileged user to change a user's password and
change it back without ever knowing what it was to begin with.  This
technique has been posted before.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148