general sql select procedure

  • From: "Simone Saravalli" <s.saravalli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:47:51 +0200

Hi all, I'm working with sql stored procedure and I created these one:

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE today (tbl_name IN VARCHAR2, old_key IN NUMBER) AS

loop_count NUMBER;

BEGIN
SELECT COUNT(*) INTO loop_count
FROM tbl_name
WHERE depno = old_key;

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('Valore di loop_count: ' || loop_count);

END today;

So, tbl_name is an argument passed with

BEGIN
today ('one_of_my_tables_name', value);
END;

I would like to have a procedure that works independently from the
table name provided by the user when calling the today procedure, but
when I try to compile the code above I receive the following error:

ERROR at line 8: PL/SQL: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

So it doesn't recognize the tbl_name argument. How can I do to solve
this problem?

Thanks in advance

Simone Saravalli