Re: gcc compiler

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 15:58:20 -0500

Never encountered that, and I would *hope* that common sense would prevail
to the extent that Oracle Support would only allow this to become an issue
in cases where the absence of a C compiler could have a *plausible* affect
-- such as the inability to natively-compile your PL/SQL.

That said, I would be lying if I said I had never encountered an Oracle
Support engineer who acted a little bit like a bone-head.

Usually, a quick escalation to a "manager" will sort things like this out,
but I suppose there may indeed be a risk here.

As a DBA, your life *will* be easier if you can get approval to install the
compilers and keep them installed.  Sadly, though, most security people
could not care two figs for the quality of your life.  ;-)

If you get really lucky though, you could maybe arrange to have the
compilers installed, and then maybe people might *forget* to later remove
them.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Rich Jesse <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx