Re: gather_plan_stats hint

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 01:04:22 -0400

On 05/13/2015 11:01 PM, Orlando L wrote:

All,

We have a SQL performing badly in prod intermittently in 11g. When it runs ok it finishes fine in seconds. When it is bad it does not finish even after 30/40 mins or even hours.

I have to find out what is going on, so I used the gather_plan_stats hint, but I dont see a problem in the estimate vs actual when it runs good. However, I am not able to see the same thing when the query is slow or hangs. How do I see those values for such cases. TIA.

Orlando.

The late Douglas Adams has immortalized the number 42 as the universal answer, but in your case the answer is another number: 10046. When you have a query that occasionally creates trouble, you trace it and see what is it waiting for.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA