Re: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

  • From: "Nilo Segura" <nilosegura@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:31:20 +0200

On 6/30/06, Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I want an index to be used if it exists, regardless of statistics, period.

Yes, it is ...annoying when someone [Oracle] thinks he is smarter than
you and it commands you what to do.
The strategy "if index was created then it was created for a reason -
use it" makes a sense.

But you are assuming that the application will implement the correct number
of indices that are required :)

You should see some of the applications I have to deal with, most of times
it is a matter of adding missing indices or removing unwanted ones...and
amazing experience .. and don't get me started on missing constraints  :D

-- Nilo Segura Oracle Support - IT/DES CERN - Geneva Switzerland