Re: floating point and Sun T2000

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:58:53 -0500

I agree, but for a slightly different reason. Treating currency (with
decimal digits) as floating point is a sure way to end up with rounding
errors. Try to explain that to a manager who hasn't touched math since high
school. That is why I really appreciate Oracle's NUMBER data type.

I think the original post was in reaction to Oracle's statement that it
couldn't spread the F.P. operations across multiple CPU's. My guess is that
the overhead to move operations to other CPUs would outweigh the benefit,
but that is just a simple guess.

Dennis Williams