RE: fixing a bad oracle install

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:14:19 -0400

Ryan,

The ORA-1034 error means one of two things:

1.)  The instance you're trying to connect to isn't up, so there's no shared
memory segment to attach to.

2.)  The instance is up and running, but from the environment you're trying to
connect from, either the ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_SID is not set correctly.  When
you set ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and startup an instance, Oracle uses a
proprietary algorithm that combines the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID to come up
with a shared memory key, which is used at shared memory segment creation time,
i.e., when the SGA is allocated.  After that, further bequeath connections must
have the same ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID defined, so that they can define the
same key value, and use it to attach to that existing SGA.  If the ORACLE_HOME
and/or ORACLE_SID is set  incorrectly, the key value will be calculated
incorrectly, and the server process will not be able to attach to the SGA
shared memory segments.

Ok, there's a third thing.....if you're sure the above two items are not the
issue, you could be running into a bug....

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.