Re: export not working

  • From: "J. Dex" <cemail_219@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kedeshpande@xxxxxxxxx, oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:49:18 -0400

Thanks for everyone who responded to this. I have finally figured it out. A previous DBA had set up an 817 database with a user called Oracle in it. When I tried to run a full import into a new database on another server as 'sys as sysdba' or system it would fail and tell me that I had no privileges on some of the tablespaces, etc. The previous DBA was doing exports as exp / . In the original database, os_authent_prefix = ""

The new 9206 was set to os_authent_prefix = "OPS$". As far as I can tell, in 9206 you can not set os_authent_prefix = "" . To make a long story short, there seems to be two ways around this. Create the Oracle user in the new database and (if the password is the same on both servers) use the actual password (instead of identified externally) or create the users in advance and adjust quotas to match the original database. I don't know why sys or system did not work, but it didn't. I had other dbas look at it to verify this.

Thanks for all of your help.

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande@xxxxxxxxx>
To: oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: export not working
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I don't recall using a 'forward slash' or 'stroke' as an escape character in UNIX with
exp/imp utilities.

 Can you please shows us an example of what you are thinking here? Thanks.

 The second part of your response is right on the money, though.

 Cheers!

- Kirti

--- Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think here escape character comes in picture... When you are not speicifying any
> parameter with EXP/IMP utility, oracle will invoke that utility with interactive mode.
>
> Regards,
>

> Yechiel Adar <adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that when you do 'exp /' it is like 'connect /' in sqlplus and
> you need to be defined as administrator and ora_dba on the machine.
>
> Adar Yechiel
> Rechovot, Israel
>

> J. Dex wrote:
>
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > On one server, if I put in the following it takes me to interactive
> > export without problem:
> > exp /

< Snip >

Discover Yahoo!