RE: explain plan works when using vi, but fails with microsoft cl ient

  • From: Raj Jamadagni <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:10:49 -0700 (PDT)

Dennis,

been there done that ... write some utilities for developers that used
pipelined functions. First
time developers used it complained nothing worked. me got confused and then
more confused. Some
investigation showed that developers (for no fault of their own) were using 806
sqlnet and 816
sqlplus.  We straightened their sqlnet and sqlplus, all became well.

Yup, sometimes it isn't Microsoft but it is an easy target.
Raj
--- DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Raj - Much as I think Microsoft doesn't get a fraction of the blame it
> richly deserves, in this case I think the fault lies entirely with Oracle.
> IIRC, they made a change to autotrace. When you log directly in to Unix,
> your "client" is 9.2.0.3, so there is no incompatibility. Theoretically, if
> you used an earlier SQL*Plus version on Unix to connect to your 9.2.0.3 or
> later database you would receive this error.

=====
Best Regards
Raj