Re: exadata role separation between gi and dbms

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:37:42 +0100

Hello all,

I have seen both configurations: grid/oracle or oracle/oracle for Grid
and RDBMS homes. This is on RAC, Oracle Restart and Exadata. Larger
organisations are more likely to require such a setup, as it keeps the
system and storage administrators nominally in charge. It doesn't imply
that storage admins know about ASM and even less about ASM mirroring
(thanks to Joel Goodman for an enlightening conversation about the subject!)

But back to the point: since 11.2.0.2 it is rather painless to have grid
and oracle accounts. The opatch auto option so far has reliably detected
that they were owned by different accounts, and if you check the logs
you see the su - <owner> -c foo commands quite nicely. The only
exception to the rule is when there were no databases running out of the
RDBMS home, in which case I had to manually patch it with opatch auto
... -oh /path/to/oracle/home.

Now there is another caveat: are you root on the machine or do you have
to phone someone up?

I have once been caught out by having set ORA_CRS_HOME during a 10.2 to
11.2 migration where half the migration scripts called 10.2 instead of
their 11.2 equivalents. Oracle development ought to unset environment
variables in each of their shell scripts, but they don't. Not a problem
as long as you remember or document the step.

My 0.02

Martin

--
http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com