RE: encryption

  • From: "TJ Kiernan" <tkiernan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zelli, Brian" <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:23:16 -0500

I would strongly recommend the 2nd edition of Expert Oracle Database
Architecture.  Chapter 16 is all about encryption, and it first draws the
distinction between encrypting data at rest (on disk) and data in motion
(network traffic).  Tom breaks down the difference between the two, the
advantages & gotchas (such as CPU overhead and encrypting indexed columns and
losing range scans), tablespace-level encryption (available in 11g TDE), and a
how-to setup TDE.  If reading is not your thing, the Oracle has some webcasts
on the subject as well.  They're marketing material, but there's some good
background "what problems can we solve with encryption" information as well.

"Encrypt THE DATABASES," is potentially a very tall order, and you need to
understand the risks that your security team is trying to mitigate before you
can make any sort of recommendation on the appropriate course of action (what
Ryan said).  Is there data that internal users shouldn't access
(PCI/HIPAA/HITECH Act)?  That may be Virtual Private Database (included in EE)
instead of encryption and possibly Database Vault.  What about encrypting
backups?

This is a big subject.  Too big for an email list, imho.  Mitigating your risks
will certainly cost time and almost certainly money.  Understand the objectives
so you can find the best tools for the job.

Thanks,
T. J.