Re: emcli

  • From: Robert Hanuschke <robert.hanuschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerry Miller <gerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:56:29 +0200

Hi Gerry,
we have to separate here between emcli and emctl.

emcli
... is a standalone command line interface that you can install e.g. on
your desktop pc without having any other kind of oracle software there.
you can control your whole environment using it. lots of things (by far not
all but a very useful subset of functionalities) that can be done in the
web console can also be done via the emcli, affecting lots of targets.

emtcl
... is part of the enterprise manager agent, so will typically reside on
your database server.
you can only control targets that reside on the same machine as the agent.
limited functionality compared to the emcli, but it comes with every agent
and you don't have to configure it specifically.

the emcli "talks" to the oms and commands it to execute whatever you told
it to.
emctl "talks" to the oms via uploading xml and dat files. the oms loader
processes read those files and execute whatever you told emctl to do.
you can test that by going to $AGENT_HOME/sysman/emd/upload and issuing
"watch -n 1 'ls -ltrh | tail'  (assuming you do have a linux environment
somewhere) in one window and creating a blackout for a target in another
one. you'll see the the files being created for that task for a very brief
time, they get uploaded instantly after creation.

about the other question:
may I see the script or the relevant parts of it? never had an issue like
that.

Best regards,
Robert
http://robertvsoracle.blogspot.com