duplexing RMAN backups (FRA)

  • From: "Greg Norris" <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:05:44 -0500

We're starting to use the FRA (under ASM) for RMAN backups of 10.2.0.x
databases, and need to duplicate this to a landing area on a cooked
filesystem which can be swept to tape.  I realize this isn't an ideal
situation, and we have plans underway to replace the latter portion
with a virtual tape library accessible to RMAN, but unfortunately have
to work within the existing infrastructure for at least the next
several months.  Here's my current understanding of the situation:

1) Since no format can be configured/specified for FRA-managed
backups, it's not possible to duplex them directly.

2) The "backup recovery area" command doesn't allow disk-based destinations.

3) The "backup backupset" command can be used to copy backupsets from
FRA to the landing area, but only allows for a time-based
specification or the inclusion of ALL items.

Is there any way to convince RMAN to copy only the most recent,
non-duplexed backupsets?  Are there any other options which I've
overlooked?

Thanx!

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.