RE: dump whole database to SQL text file

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dennis@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 18:16:09 -0400

Depending on which features of the database you use, this can be a simple or
complex task. If all you are using are tables, views, indexes, constraints,
pl/sql etc. then a few simple scripts spooled to text files is relatively
simple. If you are lobs, spacial, materialized views, advanced queuing etc.
then it becomes a difficult task as the scripts can take a long time to
develop.

Many applications have already done most of the work for you. TOAD for
example can compare schemas, and various database level items and can
provide ddl to correct any differences.

If those databases have to be identical, I would clone one over the other.
Or if it is just one schema, then drop it and import from the other assuming
it is small enough. If they are both production instances, then
Master-Master replication is needed, or some more custom solution just for
certain objects.

Ken