does oracle us both block and row level nested loop joins?

  • From: ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:43:23 +0000

OK, this is not vitally important. Trying to relate some stuff I read in a
theory book to Oracle.
Per my theory book, databases can use two similiar nested loop type algorithms.
1. Use an index on the inner table and join for each row
2. When not using an index, can do 'block' level nested loop  joins.
I'm fairly certain that Oracle uses row level nested loop joins when tables are
indexes. However, does it do 'block' level nested loop joins to improve
performance when tables are not indexed. I do not know how to test for this.
This is seperate from hash joins and sort merges. Anyone know?