Re: does anybody recomends using dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats with for columnns size skewonly

  • From: Alfonso León <aleon68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:19:09 -0500

Hi Chris:

> As pointed out by other people this is not the right way to go. Why you would
> like to avoid "ALL"?

I found this is the approach that is used at this place. When I check
the dates on the LAST_ANALYZED on columns statistics I found they were
all staled and some there weren't even calculated. When  I report my
finding I was told it was on purpose that in this way Oracle gathers
the statistics as it needs them. This would sound reasonable but the
times of column statistics don't match with the times of table
statistics, I was not convinced with this explanation so I asked for
experts opinion.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Alfonso

--