does anybody recomends using dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats with for columnns size skewonly

  • From: Alfonso León <aleon68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:15:54 -0500

Hello:

We are estimating statistics for each schema of our aplication using
DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS
with method_opt FOR COLUMNS SIZE SKEWONLY (not using the ALL) and
estimating with dbms_stats.auto_sample_size, options GATHER and CASCADE true.

does this approach will estimate the estadistics for all columns using
size 1 if the data is not skewed? would it do it only if needed?

How does Oracle decide if the estadistics are needed or not?

What is the recomended aproach to collect the statistics?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Alfonso Leon
Guayaquil - Ecuador
--