RE: disable recyclebin?

  • From: "Lange, Kevin G" <kevin.lange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:07:26 -0500

I had this conversation before with a group of people.

One guy in the conversation said "Why do you need all that protection ?
Don't you trust yourself ?"
And another answered "Of course I trust myself.  It's the others I do
not trust."

My response was ..... "You trust yourself ?    Fool !"

Like the Physician who treats himself, or the Lawyer who defends
himself, or the Accountant who does his taxes, the DBA who trusts
himself not to make a mistake is the one who will one day destroy the
database with no chance of recovery.

Mark Twice ...  Cut Once.

Not only good in Carpentry, but in prety much every other profession.

Anything you can put into a job to stop you from doing something wrong
on a 2 am call from the vice president of the company is a good thing.

On 2011-04-20, at 12:39 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort wrote:

> I had one experience where recycle bin saved me a lot of work, so I
leave it on.

> I was working on a data refresh from a Prod DB to a Dev DB. I finished
the consistent export from Prod and promptly dropped all the tables in
the schema only to realize that I had dropped the tables in the PROD
database.

> A restore would have taken several hours and customer was already
pissed about delays in this implementation. After informing them of my
mistake I restored all the tables from the recycle bin with a total
downtime of 10 minutes (as opposed to several hours!). So... I leave
Recycle Bin on.

> And I don't think that if you have a way to minimize impact people
having to learn that there are consequences is a good argument against
using that feature... it's like saying you don't buy stuff in the
supermarket because people need to learn the real value of things or
that you don't use computers because people need to learn to calculate
stuff by themselves. Recycle Bin is there to make your life easier in
the event of a MISTAKE, are you above making mistakes?

> I seem to be ranting a lot today... good thing i don't  work
tomorrow...