Re: direct path write wait

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: deepak_blr@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:24:52 -0500

On 12/27/2006 11:13:48 AM, blr_dba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is a DWH query, which has many outer joins. And has "order by" clause as
> well.
>
> The wait is because of sorts only but cant avoid sorting....

The solution is very simple. It's called EMC Symmetrix and with enough spindles
and
cache it will make your query run much faster. Of course, a nice little IBM 595
or HP 9000 rp8420
equipped with enough CPU power and memory, attached to EMC storage would also
be helpful.
The biggest mistake that companies are doing is trying to run large DW type
database on a
Dell box which doesn't have neither sufficient I/O bandwidth nor the CPU power.
Tuning only
goes that far, there is a point when you need to start throwing horsepower into
the mix to
get the required performance. The computer named "Deep Blue" has beaten the
world champion
in the game of chess. My Thinkpad, albeit from the same vendor, would probably
not be able to
defeat a chess master (although it regularly does so with me) because of the
insufficient
computing power. If you come to think of it, searching through a large database
a summarizing
the results is a daunting task and not every machine is up to the task.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com