direct path write wait

  • From: "blr_dba" <deepak_blr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:46:53 +0530

Dear Gurus,

Am having huge amount of waits on "direct path write event". This event has 98% of the total wait time. Now we want to tune it.

We are using Solaris 9 and Oracle 9.2.0.7.

After examining the system we found that logging is enabled on the mounted UFS file systems.

Need your expert advice on the following...

How to know whether the UFS is enabled for asynchronous IO or direct IO?
Which one is better for DWH environments? Pros and cons of each.
Is filesystem cache is involved in both of the above methods?

Please suggest the best solution for my environment.

Looking forward to your ever valuable feedback.

Deepak