Re: direct path read/write temp waits

  • From: "arun chakrapani rao" <arunchakrapanirao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:06:35 -0400

as said earlier by bobak the Tempfiles start numbering w/ db_files+1
u can also check from v$sql_workarea_Active to find out whether u are using
temp or memory

On 4/25/07, genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <
genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

I'm trying to find out a way to deal with direct path read/write temp
waits. I am loading a table as a select  from another table

insert /*+ append */ into table1 (select col1, col2, sum ... from table2
group by ...);

While this is running I see a number of the direct path read/write temp
waits in the v$session_waits table
I have found a document dealing with this waits on metalink
(
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10752/instance_tune.htm
)
The file_id that I am seeing are 301 and 302. I only have 55 datafiles in
this database so this is definitely a TEMP tablespace. If I read that
document correctly, this means that the sorts are too large to fit in
memory and some
data are written to disk. I have however checked the sessstat table for
the
sessions listed in the tempseg_usage view
and found no data for sorts. I am not sure how to reconcile these two
pieces of data.

I am also doing a full scan of one partition in the table2. Both tables
are
parallelized. My oracle version is 10.2.0.3

thanks for any suggestion

Gene Gurevich

thanks
Arun