Re: "direct path read" and "db file sequential read" used for full table scans in 11g

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xt.and.r@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 01:39:52 +0300

The direct path read thingy affects only full table (segment) scans. So
even with PX, if you get a parallel index range scan (on partitioned index)
for example, you end up with good old buffered single block reads.
If you set _serial_direct_read = true, then it's still adaptive. Set it to
ALWAYS (11.2.0.2+ I think) and it should force the direct path read
behavior.

If you want to learn more about full table scans (including direct path
reads), there's a cool little video here :)

http://enkitec.tv/2012/05/19/oracle-full-table-scans-direct-path-reads-object-level-checkpoints-ora-8103s/

Oh, I forgot, consider this reply also as an announcement of the awesome
http://Enkitec.TV (no need to watch MTV anymore, youngsters! :P)

--
*Tanel Poder*
Blog - http://blog.tanelpoder.com