dimension table partitioning

  • From: thump604@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:14:00 +0000

Hello All,

I have some experience partitioning tables and indices...but only where the
partitioning key is an obvious range and heavily used in predicates.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas relating to partitioning Siebel data
warehousing(Analytics) dimension tables(w_person_d)?  There is no primary key
constraint, but there is an index in place that would be the primary key index
and that is on row_wid(used to map dimension to fact).

The table has over 6 million rows.

I do not see any of the columns as obvious partitioning keys used in predicates.

What does partitioning bring to the table in terms of joins?
Does it help to partition on the column involved in the join?

--
- David Green