Re: different service names on Standby

  • From: Kim Berg Hansen <kibeha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hemant-K.Chitale@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:05:17 +0200

We do have a different service name on the physical standby. The reason is
it is in "snapshot standby mode" during the day.

Our setup har three servers: db1, db2, db3
And three service names: dbP ("P"roduction), dbR ("R"eadonly), dbS
("S"andbox)
Normally dbP runs on db1, dbR on db2 and dbS on db3

One primary and two dataguard:

Service dbP is the primary.
Service dbR is Active DataGuard - failover as well as some queries for
reporting and extracting for dw
Service dbS is at 1AM switched to Physical Standby and at 5AM switched to
Snapshot Standby - test and training during the day, "refreshed" to a clone
of production during the night

But a DataGuard server that is Physical Standby all the time? I can't
offhand think of a reason for seperate service name? Unless for management
purposes?

Regards

Kim Berg Hansen

http://dspsd.blogspot.com