Re: diff between incremental and archive backups

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mwf@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 18:20:36 -0600

Of course, you can't do incrementals on standard edition. Or did they change
that recently?

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 13, 2015, at 2:36 PM, Mark W. Farnham <mwf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well put.

Consider also that if a given block is modified many times, then the size of
the deltas in the redo stream likely exceeds the size of the one current
version of the block that will need to be written to the incremental backup
and applied in the course of rolling forward from the full backup through any
incrementals.

Having the two possible recovery scenarios might allow you to minimize the
recovery time depending on the texture of updates to your database.

mwf