Re: diff between incremental and archive backups

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 17:55:29 -0500

OK, now come the questions:

* What was the database size?
* What was the RPO (Recovery Point Objective)? How much time does the
DBA have to restore the database?
* Was any deduplication mechanism in use? Appliance or software?
* Has the client performed a restore test?
* Where was the backup performed? On the database itself or on some
kind of a clone?

Good luck with restoring 20TB database from weekly full and daily incrementals. If the client can afford that, than the database probably isn't terribly important. The best name for weekly full and daily incrementals backup strategy in case of multi-TB databases is "prayer based strategy". You back it up and pray that you can recover it in less than a week.

Regards

On 11/14/2015 05:13 PM, Neil Chandler wrote:

I have worked for 5 corporations this year, small and huge. Oracle 10, 11 and
12. All of them used incremental backups.

Regards

Neil Chandler
Oracle ACE
sent from my phone

On 14 Nov 2015, at 17:48, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/14/2015 08:38 AM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
am not sure where you get the idea that most places don't use incremental
backups. That is the opposite of my experience.
From consulting.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA